2009-01-29

Draper Temple Open House - January 15, 2009



I got tickets for the whole family to go to the Draper Temple house. I even got one for Jerah Cox - our niece who was visiting form Arizona. The tickets were for 3:40 on Thursday afternoon, perfect! It was a short day at the kids school and Brent's school is right on the way. The kids were bummed I didn't plan it for a time they could get checked out of school. We loaded up and headed out.

Zachary was so excited to actually get to go inside a temple. He kept double checking to make sure I wasn't tricking him. "3 year olds can go inside this temple, Mom" "Did the prophet say it was okay just this one time, Mom?". By the time we got to the chapel, which is where they had you park your vehicle,  he was bouncing off the walls with anticipation - literally. They had a 12 minute film all about the Draper temple, it's building process etc., but he just couldn't make it through, so we ended up in the hall. He was giggling uncontrollably at every little thing. He did however find a super short music stand he thought was just for him and proceeded to pretend he was a chorister and sing "I Am a Child of God." It remided my of the quote by President Kimball, "What do you expect when you put such big spirits into such little bodies?".

We loaded into a big shuttle bus and proceeded up the hills to the Temple. Corben leaned over and said, "Mom, I am going to be my very most reverent inside the Temple", and he was!

Zachary was very intrigued by the ushers and would approach each one with a questioning thumb as to which was the right way to go. We couldn't get him to leave the chapel at the baptismal font until I promised him we could go and see it up close. Once we were up close he did not want to move until someone got baptized. No one did - not even him (do you remember that story?).

As we left Corben proclaimed, "That was the most beautiful place I have ever seen, Jesus must like it there!" What a tender kid.

4 comments:

The Wessman Family said...

That is such a sweet post. We were able to go to the temple before we left and Abby told us, unsolicited, that it was "very special". Kids really get it, don't they?

Michelle said...

You are obviously doing a lot right to have these two sweet boys so excited. I love it. What a memorable day to share.

Steph said...

That is so sweet. he is too cute. I was bummed that we didnt get to go while we were up there. It is really close to my Grandpas house so at least we got to see it.

MissQ22 said...

oh my heck! Could your kids be any more adorable?? What a great story and a fantastic experience for your kiddos!!!